Sunday, November 21, 2010

How deep the Father's love for us



During communion today, we sang this song "How deep the Father's love for us" by Stuart Townend. It's a beautiful song with wonderful lyrics and as we sang it today, I felt myself choking up and tears in my eyes. The realisation once again of the greatness of God's love and how Jesus suffered tremendously as He paid the price for us was almost too hard to bear.

The second verse was especially moving for me:

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

The bible tells us that there is no one righteous... not one (Romans 3:10) and that we as sinners deserve nothing less than death (Rom 6:23). Today, as we sang that song, I felt the full extent of my wretchedness - and it was ugly. My lack of patience, my lack of self-control sometimes, my pride, my unfounded anger... Why would God have died for me??

Yet God, in His lovingkindness and mercy, assured me of the work of the cross, that He took all that wretchedness upon Himself when He died that day... and as a result I have eternal life. He has paid my ransom and I am saved. How awesome!

Fully convicted once again of what Jesus has done, I could only respond with deep heartfelt gratitude and the rededication of my life to Him. The first part of the final verse says it clearly for me: I will not boast in anything. No gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection.

Thank you Lord for you love. May each day I lead be worthy of the price you paid on the cross. Amen.

No comments: